Friday, June 29, 2012

We Need - and now have - the Affordable Care Act; Reason #6



David
Axelrod, on the Supreme Court decision upholding the Affordable Care Act:

Yesterday's Supreme Court ruling was very personal to me. 
Thirty years ago, my daughter Lauren, then just seven months old, began having grand mal seizures. They wouldn't stop for 18 years. 
Lauren's epilepsy robbed her of her childhood, some of her capacities and, very nearly, her life.

We were young parents then, just starting out, with lousy insurance I got from my job. And we very nearly went broke paying for Lauren's uncovered care and medication. 
I was moved to tears when the Supreme Court affirmed the Affordable Care Act, because I know that other families won't have to face the terror and heartache we knew. 
And that's because of a president who had the courage to defy the politics and all the obstacles in order to fight for people like my Lauren.

No comments:

Post a Comment